Tuesday, 23 March 2010

Warm Roasted Pumpkin and Green Lentil Salad

You may remember way back in February I wrote a post entitled 'No Botox for Vegetables' where amongst other things I showed you the lovely blue pumpkin that I still had left over from Halloween. We'd already eaten the huge compulsory orange one and lots of butternut squash. Or 'button-up squish' as my lovely friend new to the UK and the English language calls it....and I think is a much cuter name. Well believe it or not until today we STILL hadn't eaten the blue one!

Partly because it just seemed too lovely to cut into....it was beautiful in my vegetable basket in the pantry..........also because of said pumpkin overload. Today six months later, I was a little bit anxious about cutting into it thinking if not full of maggots after so long that it may at least be going off a little......


But no, I did it with a little bit of help from 'A' (it was a tough one).....inside was beautiful peachy flesh and huge plump seeds.......


See what I mean? (not sure why the kitchen looks blue!)


I just cut it into big chunks then roasted with rosemary, a whole garlic, chunks of onion, sea salt, crushed black pepper and lots of olive oil in a moderated oven for about 30 minutes....

Meanwhile I cooked green lentils in a small saucepan in salted water. Drained and then topped with the pumpkin and onion. Squeezed out the lovely caramalised garlic on top. Sprinkled with a few sunflower seeds and then drizzzled with balsamic vinegar and pumpkin oil. mmm.....
I did try roasting the pumpkin seeds too, but they exploded! The little bit I rescued tasted awesome though......but if anyone out there knows how to stop them blowing up I'd love to know.....

2 comments:

  1. What a truly beautiful site! Thank you for sharing your love of food and cooking. Your mother and mama would be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Caz.....you've really made my day.....:0)

    ReplyDelete