Wednesday 10 March 2010

Quick store cupboard lunch or light supper

'A' unexpectedly came home for lunch today. I probably would have just grabbed a bit of salad for myself, but decided to do something a little more substantial and so raided the cupboard in a Ready Steady Cook moment. Tonight I'm making garlic and chilli prawns with spaghetti before we go to see Alice in Wonderland at the cinema.....can't wait. But I digress, back to lunch........I found a box of olives that we haven't eaten as they are too salty. I like the tiny aubergine coloured ones from the Waitrose deli counter they have a lovely flavour. There was some grated smoked cheddar cheese left over from lunch a couple of days ago....intended to melt into vegetable soup. Baby spinach, and a couple of bits of sweet pepper.
I usually have onions, garlic, chilli, tomatoes and eggs on hand and so decided to make a kind of Spanish/Italian/Mexican omelette. Firstly I peeled and sliced thinly two smallish potatoes and put them on to boil in a saucepan in a little salted water. Once boiled, turn down the heat and cook for about 15 or 20 minutes until soft but not falling apart.


Peel and thinly slice the onion and fry in olive oil until softly caramelised.


Remove the skin from the tomatoes by dropping into the boiling potato water for a couple of minutes, removing and cooling under the cold water tap and then peeling off the skin. Chop along with the pepper, and olives.
Add to the onions and continue cooking along with the crushed garlic and chopped chilli. I also cut up two sundried tomatoes out of my storecupboard and added a little tomato paste and a handful of chopped baby spinach. Drain and add the potatoes and continue cooking all the ingredients together being careful not to burn.
I didn't add any seasoning to the vegetables apart from black pepper as the olives were very salty. Whisk up four eggs and season lightly and pour over the cooked vegetables in the pan and sprinkle with the cheese. Cover and cook for about fifteen minutes till the omelette has set. If the top hasn't set properly put the pan in a moderate oven for a few minutes.


It was delicious served with some green leaf salad and brown bread rolls I made on Sunday when we ran out of bread......yummy.......

No comments:

Post a Comment