Sunday 18 September 2011

Janella Purcell's Lebanese Spinach Soup





I caught an episode of Good Cook, Bad Cook the other day and watched Janella Purcell make this deliciously simple Lebanese Spinach, Lentil and Lemon Soup.

I didn't have all the ingredients that she used but I simply:

  • Sautéed onions and garlic in olive oil
  • Added a cup of green lentils, lots of baby spinach and the juice a lemon
  • Topped up with water and sea salt and cooked it until the lentils and spinach were tender.  
  • Then blended.   


It isn't very much to look at but believe me is packed full of flavour.  It reminded me of a Persian soup called Ash-e Reshte that has a similar deep spinach flavour. Janella made a traditional Lebanese topping called taklia which comprises garlic and herbs fried and then ground and sprinkled over the top.  It's similar to the traditional Persian topping of crisply fried golden onions and mint that top the Ashe-e Reshte.

No comments:

Post a Comment