Tuesday 22 November 2011

The Poisenwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver-





"It lasted just a moment, whatever that is. One held breath? An ant's afternoon? It was brief, I can promise that much for although it's been many years now since my children ruled my life, a mother recalls the measures of the silence. I never had more than five minutes peace unbroken."


Barbara Kingsolver writes beautifully. Always thoughtfully. I feel that not only is she telling a story but also teaching me a lesson.


In The Poisenwood Bible she recalls a family's tale through five different narratives.  Those of five women belonging to one family. Four sisters; Leah, Ruth May, Rachel and Adah, and their mother Orleanna Price. Blood relatives and yet as different as five women could be. Each one experiences the same adventure yet each one sees and then relates it, in their own unique way. It amazes me how Kingsolver can write from so many perspectives.


It caused me to analyse myself and my three sisters, how we shared the same parents and upbringing and yet how diverse we are.  I recently found a story that my father had written about a family boating holiday we had growing up, he summed each one of us up in a paragraph...well his perspective anyway...how different we all are...


I read Kingsolver's novel slowly, as I often do with her work. I wanted to savour the language. 


It's obvious that she researches prolifically and I think that's where my one and only real criticism comes in. I was somehow constantly aware how much she researches the socio-political culture and historical background to her novel and I don't want to be...I just want it be a gentle part of the narrative.  


Reading this novel set in Africa, a continent that I have always had a bit of a fascination with, made me appreciate so many little things that I take for granted daily. Whilst simultaneously making me want to give up so many other things...


...a great read...


I've linked over to turn the page tuesday why not pop over...

No comments:

Post a Comment