Thursday 21 February 2013

Red Camargue and Wild Rice Salad






I'm thankful that recently simple suppers like sweet potato or pumpkin soup are being requested often. But I'm always happy to find supper dishes that are quick and easy that will  double up for lunch box filling next day. I've recently started cooking with red and wild rice again, making a simple salad. I use the brand of Red Carmargue and Wild Rice that you can link to here. I'm not advertising or anything but I love this mixture of 85% red to 15% wild rice. If you haven't tried it before it has a really nutty taste and is apparently gluten free.  Unlike some brands of rice it hasn't been sprayed with starchy coating. I'm sure there are lots of others out there too. It takes 30 to 45 minutes to cook and the process is very simple:


  • Just take a cup of wild rice per two servings. Wash and put into a saucepan with two cups of stock or water and seasoning. 
  • Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and cover.
  • Leave to cook until it's to your taste. 
  • Then dress with your dressing of choice or just a little olive oil and lemon juice and lots of nice fresh vegetables. I like mine with raw baby courgettes, baby corn on the cob, mushrooms sauted in a little garlic, finely sliced red onion, avocado and feta cheese. Topped off with lots of fresh herbs.

Alternatively I omit the cheese and top with a softly poached egg and lots of black pepper.





Or the recipe on the packet sounds nice too. Add lightly cooked fennel, onion and asparagus and toss with French Dressing....sounds good...


Have a fun weekend
debx

1 comment:

  1. Hi Debby, I'm John from Fooduel.com. It is a site in which users vote recipes
    from 1 to 10.

    There is a ranking of the best recipes and a profile with your voted recipes. Each recipe has a link to the blog which belongs the recipe. This way you will get traffic to your blog

    It's easy, fast and fun. The best Photo recipes will be here.

    I invite you to enter, add your blog and upload a recipe with a nice photo.

    We would love that you participate with some recipe like this.Look Amazing!

    Regards

    http://www.Fooduel.com

    ReplyDelete