“When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"
"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"
"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully. "It's the same thing," he said.”― A.A. Milne
When it comes to breakfast I would definitely be in Pooh's camp on two counts. I love breakfast, and I love honey. It's golden sweetness stirred into porridge on cold winter mornings or drizzled over smooth Greek yoghurt with fruit on mild spring ones. As the sweetener for crunchy granola bars or Audrey Hepburn bran muffins on busy days when breakfast is on-the-go ...Slowly trickled onto hot pikelets fresh from the frying pan on late leisurely weekend ones.
And even though spring is very late this year and somehow summer days just seem like a longed for dream I can console myself with breakfast smoothies that just look like summer in a glass.
To make my breakfast smoothies you will need:
- A cup of good greek yoghurt per person or non dairy alternative like silken tofu or soya yoghurt.
- Two cups of fresh raspberries.
- A big spoonful of clear honey.
- A tablespoon of granola or muesli cereal.
- Reserve some of the berries to top the smoothie with and place the remainder into the jug of a liquidiser or blender along with the honey.
- Puree until smooth.
- Taste and add more honey if necessary.
- Pour into a glass.
- Top with the granola and remaining berries and then eat...yum...
This is a lovely quick breakfast when you have a little more time than just grabbing a breakfast bun. The honey sweetens the slightly sour raspberries to make a really refreshing contrast to the creamy yoghurt...a perfect start to the day. They are very more-ish...almost like a desert. I'm sure that Pooh would approve.
What about you though...are you in the Pooh Camp...or do you just grab a quick cup of coffee?