Wednesday 29 May 2013

In Pooh's Camp...Breakfast smoothie.


 






















“When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"
"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?" 
"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully. "It's the same thing," he said.”
A.A. Milne

When it comes  to breakfast I would definitely be in Pooh's camp on two counts. I love breakfast, and I love honey. It's golden sweetness stirred into porridge on cold winter mornings or drizzled over smooth Greek yoghurt with fruit on mild spring ones. As the sweetener for  crunchy granola bars or Audrey Hepburn bran muffins on busy days when breakfast is on-the-go ...Slowly trickled onto hot pikelets fresh from the frying pan on late leisurely weekend ones.

And even though spring is very late this year and somehow summer days just seem like a longed for dream I can console myself with breakfast smoothies that just look like summer in a glass. 

To make my breakfast smoothies you will need:

  • A cup of good greek yoghurt per person or non dairy alternative like silken tofu or soya yoghurt. 
  • Two cups of fresh raspberries.
  • A big spoonful of clear honey.
  • A tablespoon of granola or muesli cereal.

Method:
  1. Reserve some of the berries to top the smoothie with and place the remainder into the jug of a liquidiser or blender along with the honey.
  2. Puree until smooth.
  3. Taste and add more honey if necessary.
  4. Pour into a glass.
  5. Top with the granola and remaining berries and then eat...yum...

This is a lovely quick breakfast when you have a little more time than just grabbing a breakfast bun. The honey sweetens the slightly sour raspberries to make a really refreshing contrast to the creamy yoghurt...a perfect start to the day. They are very more-ish...almost like a desert. I'm sure that Pooh would approve. 

What about you though...are you in the Pooh Camp...or do you just grab a quick cup of coffee? 





16 comments:

  1. The Pooh bear quote did make me laugh - we've been listening to Alan Bennett read the House At Pooh Corner a lot lately and I can recite large chunks verbatim as a result.
    We've been having a lot of smoothies lately, though it's suddenly getting a bit too cold. I wish there was a hot equivalent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I love it too...I'll have a think about the warm smoothie equivalent thing...there must be some substitute...

      Delete
  2. Love the quote :) I am a "eat the same thing" every day gal. However your smoothie makes me want to branch out. Looks healthy and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I was thinking of you Karen when I put the non dairy alternative as know you are doing the 30 Day Vegan diet...I hope it's going well for you.

      Delete
  3. Looks lovely and could certainly be trotted out as a dessert too. I have a mixture of breakfast appetites to cater for in my house. One happily tucks into eggs, porridge (with honey!), toast or cereal any day of the week, one I coax with yoghurt and fruit and the other has no breakfast at all. I fall somewhere in between. I always start the day with a strong cup of tea after which time I can be lured down either path depending on time, weather and inclination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we are the same mid week...Marmite on toast or crumpets for Hannah, espresso and cake or honey toast for Ahmad and I've already shared my favourites. I always wake ravenous and can't miss breakfast...I definitely am a real Pooh.

      Delete
  4. I'm reading 'The Heat of The Day' too! Are you enjoying it? I started reading it a little while ago then became lost in 'The Museum of Innocence' and have only just returned to it. I've also got 'The Love-Charm of Bombs' lined up to read next which focuses on the creative impact war had on writers such as Elizabeth Bowen and Graham Greene.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jan/20/love-charm-bombs-feigel-review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only just started reading it Caz. I took it away with me at the weekend planning to get lots of reading done but didn't manage to pick it up. Too much talking and eating! I will let you know once I've read a little more.

      'The Museum of Innocence' sounds intriguing...(love the title) as does 'The Love-Charm of Bombs.' Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  5. I am so in the Pooh Camp - love the idea of this smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't last the morning without breakfast and recently there always seems to be some honey involved.

      Delete
  6. Humm that is delicious and healthy!
    Breakfast is my favorite meal, I like coffee but after a good breakfast.
    I'm in the Pooh Camp...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MIne too Montse. I'm also partial to a good cup of filter coffee.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Me too Shu Han...he'd be a good breakfast buddy...

      Delete
  8. yummy yummy! pretty photos too!
    thanks for visiting my blog the other day, I hope to "see" you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you...I'll be checkin out your lovely embroidery again...
    deb

    ReplyDelete