Thursday 23 May 2013

yarn along

" Below the veranda, the vegetation in the morning shade was like a rainforest of lush, evil leaves and flowers, which she had to be careful not to break as she searched. She held one hand in front of her mouth and was constantly afraid of losing her balance.  "What are you doing?" asked little Sophia. "Nothing," her grandmother answered. "That is to say," she added angrily, "I'm looking for my false teeth."  The Summer Book, Tove Jansson, p11.

I'm still reading The Summer Book by Tove  Jansson, and Chekhov short stories...the book is slim and light to carry, handy for waiting rooms and car journeys. On the bedside cabinet is The Heat of the Day, London war time drama written at the time it was set. I think that's the one I'll take away at the weekend. Also on the go are  The Legendary Cuisine of Persia, The Thrify Forager inspiring dandelion salads and nettle soups, Bowl Food  and An Everlasting Meal. They all influence how I cook...Or maybe I choose them because that's how I cook anyway.

All the while patiently waiting for my Quince and Co yarn to arrive so I can begin a Lida shawl.  I bought some Katia Bamboo to try out the pattern until it arrives. It's beautifully soft to knit, made from 60% bamboo and 40% cotton but splits so much that it's not good for lace patterns. But maybe it's just me. I've got the pattern down now so it's just a waiting game until the linen arrrives. And in-between I made more woollen socks, adapting a pattern in this book, and I'm using the Bamboo to make simple wash cloths.

I'm joining yarn along at Small Things, Frontier Dreams and Natural Suburbia this week...are you coming too?


4 comments:

  1. I do so envy people who can have more than one book on the go at the same time. I barely make time for one. Loving the look of your knitting, it look so soft even in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of them, like the short stories I can just pick and put down easily but I'm looking forward to a nice long read. We're away for the bank holiday weekend and so I'm longing to be able to do that.
    The yarn does feel lovely...but I've just got my quince linen now and can't wait to start knitting with that.
    Have a good weekend.
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have your yarn by now, I can't wait to see what you think about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just collected from the Post Office this morning because there was an extra customs charge I had to pay. It looks lovely. We're away at the weekend so I'm taking it with me, it will be my weekend project. I can't wait to start. I'll let you know how I get on with it Karen.
    Have a great weekend,
    deb

    ReplyDelete