Monday 7 April 2014

The house-moving merry-go-round




We are on the house-moving merry-go-round with all it's ups and downs.  I could compare the process to a roller coaster, but I like to think that it's a more gentle ride. It's definitely fun, if a tad disappointing at times. It's all about having the right attitude, being open to compromise, and learning as we go. And we have learnt a lot. I try to think of it as just having days out in the countryside, and not expecting too much. 


This time we were looking in Wiltshire, near Bath. I think of the geography in literary terms. In Somerset it was Thomas Hardy country and my day dreams were laced with scenes from Far from the Madding crowd or Tess of the D'Urbervilles...I even found myself saying 'Somerset' with a west country accent. 

 


Now it's all about Jane Austin and afternoon tea in Bath pump room.

I imagine living in each home that we view...For some reason it's always Christmas... 

A sweet little two hundred years old red brick cottage that we viewed  last weekend had our hearts racing when we first spied it online. We drove west on the sunny spring day, all blue skies and birds singing. We arrived a little early and walked around the village. It was calm and quiet with once grand houses. It had a good feel and from the outside our house looked amazing. Double fronted like in the photo, except that it had a door at each end. One must have been cropped out in the image. 'A' was very excited it was nicer than he imagined. 

As we got closer, I noticed a small dividing wall and that each door had a different number. Ok, so it wasn't detached, we would only have half of the frontage but that didn't matter, we reasoned that it must go back a long way inside because the rooms in the photos were massive, much bigger than ours. We were surprised that the estate agent didn't greet us by opening the white front door, but asked us to come around to the back. She took us through the tiniest door into the smallest kitchen that led to the minutest dining and living room.  The sofa was blocking the white front door so that no-one could come in, or go out through it. One of the bedrooms was too tiny for a double bed and the other had been made into the access to the loft bedroom. 

It was beautiful but none of our furniture would have fitted and basically there was only one, and not the three bedrooms that we had been promised. We looked back at the photographs in the brochure and the word "photoshop" sprung to mind. 

Lovely, but just too small. We drove across the county border to Somerset again to the next property. Too early, so once more we explored the area before knocking on the door. It was on the edge of a small town leading out into open countryside. It had lots of good things about it but we both had the same sad feeling. There was something that I can't really explain.  A kind of melancholy came over both of us. A claustrophobia, even though we were outside. I think the hedges seemed to edge us in.

It was hard to go and look at the house because even before stepping inside we felt that we couldn't live there. The hardest thing was that this viewing was with the home owner and not an agent. She was lovely and her home was amazing. It was perfect. A lovely big old Victorian House built on three floors, solid with lovely old doors and floors. It had  four big bedrooms and plenty of space to do everything we wanted. She had impeccable taste and it was beautifully decorated, quite grand. The garden even had little seedlings planted in raised beds under glass, shooting up all ready for the year ahead.  

If we could have picked up that house and put it in the other location we would have won. 

We realised, that  In general it seems that you can either have the house or the location. Very, very rarely you can find both at an affordable price. 



But then we did. This time a three hundred year old house, an inglenook fireplace flanking one wall. The ceiling was beamed but not with dark stained ones but lighter more natural wood. Three stories with lots of bedrooms and bathrooms. Sweet fireplaces in each one and a huge kitchen. It had a garden that backed onto farm land  and allotments but wasn't too remote. Wouldn't you know when I phoned to make an appointment it had been sold that day.

It was good to know that they are out there and we can afford them...the only problem is that that's the third one we've found that someone else loved too...And why not...


...but we have spotted another little house that seems to be smiling at both of us...so I must make a phone call first thing tomorrow...

...best not to say too much...don't want to jinx this one as well...

18 comments:

  1. My fingers are crossed Debby!
    After looking at all your beautiful photos I am ready to pack and move across the pond! I have never been to England, but I speak the language so I think I would fit in just fine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would fit in perfectly Tracey and be a very welcome addition.
    debx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, that's it...I'm coming over! Your photos of your lovely countryside are calling me to England. I love that you equate your house-hunting to classic novels and that you envision yourself living there at Christmas. So sorry that the lovely 300 year old home was already sold...what a fireplace! Imagine Christmas around that fireplace...simply dreamy. Keeping my fingers crossed that you find the perfect home soon. Until then, I am enjoying your journey through photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be wonderful Emily. I know, I was there in my mind toasting chestnuts over the fire and playing games with everyone. I'm glad that you are enjoying the journey too. I was thinking as I wrote this post that everyone must be bored with all the house photos, so I'm glad that you aren't.
      debx

      Delete
  4. Oooh! fingers crossed for you debby! what a complete treat your photos are. i really love england, and it's gorgeous countryside and homes. the last one, swoon, i would never want to leave. the perfect nest is waiting for you, i'm sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lori. I was afraid that I was boring everyone with too many photos. I think that we just have to be patient and hopefully we'll find the one that's right for us.
      Debx

      Delete
  5. It is so much fun going on this "rollercoaster" with you! I hope the "smiling" house will soon be yours. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice that you want to come along Susan. So much more fun with you.
      debx

      Delete
  6. Well, how did it go today? I have been thinking of you all day and hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Tracey. That's so sweet. Someone had put in an offer for that one before we had a chance to ourselves. But we've found a new direction to look and lots of amazing properties. We plan to have a look next Friday and explore over the area over the weekend. It may prove to be a bit too far from the rest of the family we'll see how long it takes us to drive over, but I'm sure that we'll have fun and see how things go. I'll have my camera at the ready and catch up.

      Delete
  7. Good luck Debbie..If I was meant to be I will happen ,If not then it is for others
    There is a house there somewhere just waiting for you
    Thea xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I feel a bit like that Thea, I'm sure there's one out there for us.
      debx

      Delete
  8. Oh, it is SUCH an emotional rollercoaster, but with the added stress of being a financial and geographical one as well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy. We keep finding what we think is the perfect one, the latest two were gorgeous, perfect location but one had damp and the other movement. That's the down side of old houses but the sun's shining and tomorrow we're off for two days to explore more options.
      debx

      Delete
  9. Oh I do feel for you - but good luck something will turn up that you are meant to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It's just happened again. Once more the perfect house. We'll keep looking and I'm sure that something will turn up. But thanks for your kind thoughts.
      debx

      Delete
  10. Oh dear! I remember the impossible situation of house hunting in England. We also lost three houses before West Cottage 11 years ago. Now we're thinking of a relocation, but still in OXON, but not prepared to face that nightmare again. Vancouver is so much easier that way. Good luck, keeping my fingers crossed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that was so much fun.. Thanks for taking me along.. Your houses have so much character.. Love them.. Hope you find the right one soon... Can't wait.. xo

    ReplyDelete