Tuesday 15 April 2014

Yarn Along - knitting therapy

I've been reaffirming my choice for simple projects.  Like worry beads there's zen-like therapy in the calm circular motion as I move the stitches from left to right on the bamboo needles.  

Why this new need for calm...?

Eek, we've sold our house. It all happened so fast within two weeks of the first conversation with the estate agent.  It isn't  on the market yet, the photographs have just been taken, the brochure not even published but then he sneaked someone in for a look, and they fell in love with it. Now it's our turn to fall in love with somewhere new. 

It can be scary, the feeling of a subtle loss of control. But then I have this inner lecture rebuking myself for even pretending to feel homeless, considering  the plight of these people.  I have so much to be grateful for. 

Carrie Bostock Hoge's, Bergen cowl is my current favourite cowl. I love the design and live in it. But I'm not used to such a short cowl and because I'd been wearing a chunky Icelandic lopi wool cowl it seemed a little thin by comparison. So I'm customising it. I picked up the cast-off stitches and am knitting the pattern again, so that I can double it over and have an even more snuggly toasty cowl to wear. Sometimes you need the reassurance of a little more snuggle than usual. 

I'm reading another Anne Tyler novel, 'The Beginner's Goodbye.' I love her prose and there's usually a twist to her plot but I think I mentioned before that I've noticed a slight formula. It made me put it down for a little while but then picked it up again last night. Now I'm drawn in again. A gentle read...another form of therapy...


joining with ginny, tami and nicole to share our projects...

...coming?

debx


17 comments:

  1. You sold your house!!! Well, that is a major step isn't it? I can't wait to see what your new home will look like, how exciting to search for it. I can imagine it's a little scary, but I know there is the perfect home out there just waiting for you.

    And your knitting is wonderful too Debby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...half way there. We are going to look at two more on friday all being well.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reassurance Tracey.

      Delete
  2. congrats on selling your house! Very exciting! now hurry up and find your new home :) No pressure right? I'm sure you will find THE house in no time at all, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. We are venturing in a slightly new location so the adventure continues.

      Delete
  3. oh my----life changes in your world. all will be well, just getting from here to there. I really love that cowl….and have been somewhat in limbo not loving what I'm working on at the moment….this cowl might be screaming at me! I often find if a read several books by the same author back to back I get the same feeling….anne tyler is usually one of my favorite authors but I've missed this book. In the queue. Good luck with the move!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we just have to bide our time and keep looking. We've had two offers by relatives saying that we can stay with them if we don't find anywhere in time which is really reassuring and kind of them.

      I've loved knitting this cowl just enough interest to stop me getting bored but not too much going on so that I do other things at the same time.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the quick sale! You are on to a new adventure! May your knitting be the peace of mind you need at this time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the sale! My neighbor just sold hers within 24 hours of the listing going live... I hope you find something wonderful to move into! PS I TOTALLY get what you are saying about needing the peace of stitches sliding along needles. Blessings, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erin...I've been reading how knitting is taken seriously as a therapy for people with Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. It always seems to help me in stressful times...a nice place to go to...

      Delete
  6. LOVE your color choices! Relaxing knitting sounds perfect for keeping calm right now. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily, I love mustard and grey and the soft yarn makes a nice cosy project to work on.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations, Deb! What happy news.I just know that you are going to walk into the perfect home for you and your family very soon. I was so relieved when we sold our house--it made house hunting even happier because now we were really ready to move. I like simple knit, too. Right now I am knitting the simplest garter stitch sweater--I love it! Your cowl is coming along beautifully, and you chose a fabulous color combination. I don't think I've ever read Anne Tyler; I'll have to give her a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank Susan. We are off to the county of Herefordshire on Friday a slightly new direction.
    debx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a big life change. Crafting is always calming for me during times of change. I am sure you will find your new home soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so excited Cathie. I think we may have found one on Friday...fingers crossed. It could be the one...
      debx

      Delete