Saturday 1 August 2015

In my kitchen :: lots of old favourites and up-cycling another little wooden cupboard...




In case you were wondering...

  • sunset through the kitchen window
  • a batch of chocolate macaroons cooling
  • making chicken marinade ready for oven baking
  • broth bubbling on the hob
  • garden herbs and homemade spelt bread
  • baked squash with tangy soft cheese and salad leaves that are still going strong in the veg patch
  • porridge...the vehicle for lots of yummy berries and creamy yoghurt or fruit puree with maybe a trickle of fudgy maple syrup or earthy honey (or maybe all four...)
  • baked Mediterranean vegetables to serve with pan-fried fish
  • seasonal vegetable soup
  • persian horesht with rice and yoghurt
  • gorgeous old Peugeot shopping bike...an auction win spied through the kitchen window
  • wine and pickles the scent in the kitchen fluctuates between a winery and a pickle factory...Currently Ahmad's cherry wine made from local big black Morello cherries...I may not be a fan of the aroma but love the gentle rhythmic plopping sounds as the little air bubbles rise up and explode...Until they get too violent and are banished to the shower. 
  • scrumptious rhubarb slowly cooked with honey ready for a flapjack crumble topping...
  • lemon drizzle cake, birthday request and lemon poppy seed muffins
  • food and garden gifts from a kind neighbour
  • sewing. Lots of curtain making, mostly by hand...almost zen like therapy as I work the thread...flowing from right to left like a tiny stream trickling through the woven fabric
  • another little up-cycling project 
Up-cycling a small wooden cupboard
This one was a small cupboard that I bought for £8 at a local car-boot sale. It isn't very old. but well made and sturdy. The drawer was constructed with dove tail corners and it run smoothly. The little doors open easily but close just as well, and hang perfectly when closed...See, I'm learning from past mistakes to check things closely before I buy them. As you can see it had been stained dark brown to look like old oak and had antiqued metal handle and fastener. Not my favourite look unless original but I soon freshened it up with a bit of paint. Here's how:
  1. Remove any handles using a screwdriver
  2. Wash the cupboard inside and out with warm soapy water
  3. Rinse and wipe to remove any excess water then leave to dry
  4. At this point had the cupboard been highly varnished I would have given it a good sanding with fine sandpaper to help the paint adhere but as the finish was matt, this wasn't necessary.
  5. Paint with undercoat or any left over emulsion paint. At the moment we always have a big cheap tub of white emulsion on the go for ceilings and new plaster so I used some of that.
  6. Leave to dry.
  7. Then the fun bit...the actual painting. A small project like this is perfect for using up any leftover paint or sample match pots. I had four small sample pots of F & B estate emulsion paint. It's has a lovely chalky matt texture and ca been diluted with water if you want a more transparent coating.  With a brush small enough to dip into the pot I used No 270 Calluna for the outside and NO 47 Green Smoke (the same little mini match pot left over from this project) for the inside of the both cupboard and drawer. I love the contrast when it's opened up. 
  8. Paint a second coat once the first is completely dry.
  9. When completed put the handles back on...unless like me you decide to use something different. I'm looking for something simple.  
We now have a cute little cupboard to hoard all the coffee we stock up with on trips to Ikea...(I know...but we love it...)

...Just need to find some nice simple handles now...any ideas...
dx

17 comments:

  1. Oh I will have to try the IKEA coffee, here within this house lives coffee fiends. Also would you mind sharing the chicken marinade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. We drink lots of coffee too and in the past have spent too much trying to find good ones. We always seem to come back to Ikea's dark roasted filter coffee, Bryggkaffe Morkrost. We find it flavourful without being too bitter and it's very inexpensive. It's worth trying a packet to see if you like it. There isn't an Ikea in the county (we're in Herefordshire now) so we stock up whenever we're in London or Bristol. My husband is a big espresso drinker and he really rates their espresso too, he puts it next to Illy, Italian coffee which is up to a quarter of the price depending where you buy the Illy.

    The chicken marinade recipe is basically a yoghurt based one. I find that it really produces tender meat. I add lemon zest, chilli, garlic, sea salt and crushed black pepper and a little bit of turmeric or saffron flakes. But the the saffron/turmeric are optional and only a little bit as too much can be bitter. Balance the chilli garlic to your taste. I find that even just leaving for an hour will add a lovely flavour and then it's ready to bake, grill or BBQ or if using boneless chicken breasts you can slice them finely and pan fry them for a quick supper.
    debx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoops that should be saffron fronds not flakes...
      dx

      Delete
  3. Your kitchen is always so busy and you prepare the most tasty dishes. My poor family, we are surviving on cold dishes right now, I just have no desire to cook in all this heat.
    Love the little coffee cabinet, very cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to cook when it's hot...our summer has suddenly disappeared so it isn't a chore to spend time in the kitchen. It's so good for you to have lots of fresh raw food. I'm hoping that we get an Indian summer. Hope you keep cool and gets lots of beach and hammock days.
      dx

      Delete
  4. They say you eat with your eyes, and boy did I ever have a feast looking at your pictures, Debby! You must have a very happy family, serving meals like that. Happy to see the wine bubbling away. We make wine here too. There's always a jug in process sitting in the corner of of our living room. The neighbors all love it. Did a wonderful job on the cabinet. Lately, I've been putting little wooden knobs painted the same color as the furniture on my remakes. I think it gives them a sort of Shaker simplicity. Hope you have a lovely week!


    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you Jane. That's kind of you to say. Ahmad always has some on the go and like you it's mostly for the friends or neighbours he always insists that they take a bottle or demijohn when they leave.
      That's a great idea about the wooden knobs. That would work really well. I love the shaker style, I will try and seek some out this week
      Hope that yours is good too,
      debx

      Delete
  5. your kitchen is always the most enticing place to visit!!! my cupboards looks like Old Mother Hubbard's at the moment since we've been away....my chance to fill them with all kinds of inspiration I found HERE!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he...Your holiday looked amazing Steph, thanks for posting so many lovely photographs. Have fun food shopping.
      debx

      Delete
  6. Ohh Debby your kitchen looks very nice!
    And your meals look very good, the lemon poppy seed muffins I make are your recipe, they are delicious
    The small cupboard you has been beautiful, I love the white furniture.!
    I wish you a happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Montse. I remember you making the poppy seed muffins. I'm glad that you like the recipe. The light coloured paint makes the kitchen nice and bright especially on dark winter days.
      I hope you have a wonderful summer too.
      debx

      Delete
  7. love the cabinet redo!! I have only been to ikea once but I'd love to go again, we have to travel far to get to one though....worth the visit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to travel quite a bit too Karen so we like to stock up. It's such a light bright space and reminds always reminds me of holidays in Norther Europe when we go there.
      Hope you manage a visit soon.
      debx

      Delete
  8. What a sweet little cabinet! Your redo of it is lovely. Love the color you used on the inside...such a clever idea, and I definitely agree with simple hardware.
    Your meals look amazing, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily, Good to hear from you.Thank you. It was a case of 'necessity being the mother or invention' I ran out of the Calluna paint that I'd used on the outside. I have to say that I have often painted the inside of cupboards a darker shade. I think it gives an extra element like a bright silk lining in a classically dark coat or jacket. The cabinet's under the sink are chalky downs and kind of off white and inside a dark charcoal grey. I'm looking out for some little simple handles now.
      Have a fun week.
      debx

      Delete
  9. dear debby,
    another wonderful post from your kitchen. all your food looks wonderful and makes me hungry.
    love your little cabinet...it is soooooooo beautiful.next week is ikea on my list, i need somethings,
    like paper napkins,candles etc.
    have a nice evening,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Regina,
      Oh thank you. It turned out much better than I expected and is really useful. I just need to sort out the handles. I love Ikea too, it reminds me of holidays in Denmark. It's always so bright and jolly, I love all the lights too. Have fun when you go.
      Take care,
      debx

      Delete