Sunday 25 August 2013

Bonjour




We went to Paris and it was awesome. Well it started off with a  little hiccup. After a trouble free drive and calm 4am ferry crossing, we arrived just as the sun was coming up at six. Straight drive to Paris, found the hotel (that we'd booked at a bargain price here) no problem, great location, couldn't wait to drop our luggage off and go explore. But then I got a blinding migraine headache, one of those horrible ones where you can't move, that made me really sick for the whole first day. 

Thankfully gallons of water and a good nights sleep worked wonders. We both love Paris. It reminds 'A' of his beloved Tehran, we love the cafe culture.That seats outside bistro's  face outwards like cinema seats (well some of them do) so that you can people watch. That when you travel on the Metro  you're entertained by accordion players who jump into the carriage with you. That everyone stops at lunch time and gets out table cloth, bottles of water,wine, begin cutting up melons and laying out cheeses,slices of wafer thin ham and baguettes. But the thing that always shocks me in big cities like Paris is the contrast between those who have, and those who don't. Gold leafed palace roofs, The Champs Elysee, flashy cars  next to  people begging and sleeping rough. 

We found a moment of calm in the leafy Jardin du Luxembourg. It wasn't the opulent pavilion and lake but the shady woody area with it's quirky (and overpriced) cafe with folding chairs and the bandstand that I really loved. 

...And the coffee binge that I'd been planning? Well that got curtailed by the migraine...but I discovered the most amazing teas, which in hindsight I realise probably contain just as much caffein. Like the cinnamon tea served in a middle eastern restaurant, the green mint tea (The Vert a la Menthe) by Comptoirs Richard or  Rochambeau that come in little fabric bags and taste so mild and refreshing. I'm sure it's the omission of the paper that makes the difference. I've kept the envelopes and made it my mission to track some down...

...Shakespeare and co?

                                        ...can't wait to show you tomorrow...




8 comments:

  1. You made it to Paris! What glorious weather you had, such lovely blue skies. Glad that the migraine didn't have you out of action for too long. Can't wait to see the photos from Shakespeare & Co too.

    I overcame my extreme claustrophobia to fly 2.5 hours to Queensland last week which was such a big deal for me after being grounded for so long. Will blog about it soon.

    I have some nice tea to send you too so keep an eye out in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Hi Caz...good to hear from you.

      I know we were lucky. I was thinking of you in Shakespeare and co. We had amazing weather...I'm actually sun tanned from just a few days.

      Glad you are back safe and sound I wondered how you'd got on. I look forward to your blog post.

      Oh that's so sweet...ah thank you Caz.
      debx

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see the rest of your Paris photos! Did you see the Kusmi Tea shops? They seem to have sprung up everywhere, like mushrooms, and they have the most beautiful packaging. I can't speak for the tea, because whenever we saw one we were always being dragged in search of a carousel or an icecream shop (both beautiful, but not quite the same). Glad you had a lovely time - but in Paris, it would be hard not to. We have just returned from an epic holiday in Europe and as I ran through Primrose Hill one morning I thought of you and the very first blog post of yours that I read, which was about the Russian café there. Sadly it doesn't seem to exist any more, but the rest of PH is as gorgeous and other-worldly as ever. Talk about the haves and the have mores! Anyway, hope all is well and that the migraines have vanished, Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we went and had a free sample in Kusmi...(sad but true I even kept the cute little paper cup). I was very tempted to get the grey stump teapot...I loved it but have too many teapots already. The tea was lovely but I was clutching my Comptoirs Richard packaging on my quest to find the green peppermint tea at the time. I think I'm going to have to go back to Paris to get some.
      Glad you had a great time too.
      Hope to hear more about your trip.
      debx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful images, what a bummer about that migraine but boy did you kick it! I love the photos, and you look so lovely. Glad you were out and about with someone who is fun to be with :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Karen, how sweet of you to say. Much better now thanks...I think we'd just had a mad busy week or so before we left and then when I calmed down it hit me. We're actually planning to try and go back for a weekend in a month or so...it was so good to get away.
      debx

      Delete
  4. It definitely has something special in the air...such a buzz...
    debx

    ReplyDelete