Thursday 15 May 2014

This week in my kitchen :: 7 Toss Kabob...

Capturing my love of whole foods, combined with the activity of a bustling kitchen.
A weekly collection of photos from the center of my home. 


...even time for a few words this week...

  • 'A's' famous pizzas, and my three seed spelt bread all ready for the oven. 
  • Amazed/thankful at how long one 25kg sack of spelt flour can last.
  • A spot of geometry to line the baking pan for another fruit cake. 'A' swears that he didn't have any of last weeks. 
  • Compost soup. I had to remove a teabag placed by sister on top of the leftover salad reserved for soup base, thinking it was destined for the compost heap...Don't cringe...waste not, want not...a tip that I gleaned from ina garten and hfw. I even added the red onion gravy left over from Sunday lunch... well it took me ages to caramelise all those onions. 
  • Pan fried sea bass with current favourite sweet potato, puy lentils.
  • Chicken toss kabob, with Persian rice and sour yoghurt.
  • Boiled fruit cake with raspberries and yoghurt. I'm depending on the fat-burning raspberries dissolving all the butter in the cake.  
  • Fresh herbs and blossoms from the garden. I wish you could smell them...
...even a recipe...

My chicken version of Persian Toss Kabob

Toss kabob isn't a kebab but a kind of Persian horesht or casserole/stew. Traditionally made with lamb and not chicken, tomatoes, potatoes and dried limes. As I don't eat read meat I made this chicken version of my mother-in-law, mama bosourge's recipe. She didn't use measurements as lots of mothers don't, but worked by taste, or handfuls. I have done the same here. You can make a vegan version by omitting the meat altogether and substitute chick peas or squash. It's still really tasty. 

Ingredients:
  • Happy chicken. Either a whole one skinned and jointed for a family, or the appropriate number of portions.
  • Dried limes. You can buy them online here, or use fresh lime or lemon juice. Four or five should be enough, not too many as it could make the dish a little bitter
  • One large onion, sliced finely
  • Canned bottled, or finely chopped, skinned tomatoes.
  • Ground turmeric root
  • Potatoes, peeled and cut into biggish chunks. Choose a  variety that will hold their shape and not dissolve when cooked
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mama always used white, I always use black...you can use whichever you prefer
  • A couple of cloves of fresh garlic
  • A little oil of choice or butter to cook
Method:
  1. Pour a little oil into a heavy based saucepan, add the onions and cook until translucent.
  2. Add a little ground turmeric and cook out, stirring all the time so that it doesn't stick. 
  3. Add the chicken portions and brown a little. 
  4. Add the garlic and cook, combining all the ingredients together. 
  5. Add the tomatoes and dried lemons, stir well, and then add little boiling water. Season. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. 
  6. After about half an hour add the potatoes and continue cooking. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary. The horesht is ready when the chicken is falling off the bone and the potatoes are tender when pierced with a sharp knife. This should take about fifty minutes depending on the chicken. 

This is a hearty family supper meal, very more-ish and comforting. You could always spice it up with a little chilli. Traditionally eaten with basmati rice cooked the Persian way, sour plain yoghurt and flat nan bread.  

linking with amanda...coming too? Oh sorry heather not amanda...done it again...
debx

19 comments:

  1. You make the BEST food--my mouth waters every time I read one of your kitchen posts! I love your kitchen because it's full of tools, color, and activity: it's worked in. That first photo with the washed apples drying on top of the dish rack is my favorite.: ) Your recipe for Persian Toss Kabob looks yummy.

    You must have a good recipe for fruit cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sue, It's always busy, as I know yours must be too. I use a mixture of two fruit cake recipes. Very easy to make and really moist...I even do a version of it with a few extra additions for christmas. There's a link here if you are interested...tp://cookingupastorminateacup.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/mmmcakechristmas-cake.html
      debx

      Delete
  2. Delicious looking food! Your kitchen looks like it is full of activity, food and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many lovely mortar and pestles! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks denise. The big one with the wooden handle was my fathers. He wasn't often in the kitchen so I've just been wondering why he had it. I think it was probably for making homeopathic or herbal remedies. That was my first mortar and pestle. I just kept it because it reminds me of him, and then I couldn't resist getting the others along the way.

      Delete
  4. So happy to be here again, Debby.. I love your food and thanks so much for the recipe.. It will be this week's try a new recipe.. grin.. Compost soup??? That has me wondering.. I must tell you that each time I admire your dish rack so much.. I wish we had those here in Canada as I would buy one in a heartbeat.. Thanks for the lovely visit..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do hope that you have a go Faye, and that you love it. Compost soup was inspired by tv chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's compost heap jelly using apple and citrus peel that some may put on the compost heap. Also Ina Garten's soup that she makes from left over salad leaves.

      A few people have asked me about the dish drainer. I have it for a very long time...years. It was made by a company called Lakeland. I've checked and unfortunately they no longer make them which is a shame because they are such a good design. If they still made them I could have posted one to you. I'll keep my eyes open in case they start making them again.
      debx

      Delete
    2. That would be wonderful, Debby if you ever do across one.. I would glady pay postage..
      I must start saving some scraps for soup and try it.. Thanks for taking the time to answer.. xo

      Delete
  5. Loved seeing your kitchen, it looks like a very happy and busy place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All that food, looks delicious. I love your plate too. And the flowers... looks like a lively beautiful kitchen. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cute isn't it. A bit of fun for the kitchen.

      Delete
  7. Great photos... your food looks delicious and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The toss kabab really is comfort food Debi, so easy to eat and very more-ish.

      Delete
  8. I agree with Susan, you do make the best food, I love your photos and the food descriptions :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmmm...looks delicious! Lots of cold rain forecasted for us, and your Persian Toss Kabob would be a perfect meal to warm us inside and out. We love Basmati rice, but I have never known how to cook it Persian style...I'm going to try cooking it that way this weekend. Thanks for the recipe and tutorial. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a go Emily. It makes a good family supper.
      You too.
      debx

      Delete