Saturday 5 December 2015

red in the morning sailors warning...




excuse any weird background noise just a radio playing somewhere...


December arrived with pink skies, rain, and twelve flood warnings in the county. It's comforting when you're tucked up in bed too late at night, listening to outdated radio shows, to hear the gentle drumming on the window panes and pull the quilt up tight and snuggle down even deeper. 

Between drizzly showers I've squeezed in time to plant the hundred bulbs ready for their spring appearance. Getting distracted meanwhile by forgotten treasures. Uncovering missed unblemished potatoes, almost unwittingly chopped in two by my wayward spade; crumbs of broken china, a skeletal poppy seed head that's a copy of a miniature parasol frame. I can't resist playing with it. Exploring it's fragile architecture. I want to wash it, to remove the sticky soil but am scared that it'll dissolve...

Inside and out, the house is almost finished, by others who'll soon hand it back to us. It's our turn now. We still sort and paint and open more boxes, play and move furniture like giant chess pieces then check mate, move them back to where they came from. Up-cycling, recycling, a miniature revolutionary (evolutionary?) Tour de France.

I'm reading again. Easy reads, the country girls by Edna O'brian, favourite garden and cookery books and knitted a Mistake Rib Scarf using a free Pearl Soho pattern. I love this subtle rib it has a raised knit stitch, alternated with two moss (seed) stitches. Basically you make a knit one, purl two rib but by just altering the first and last three stitches, magically the moss stitch section appears. This makes a lovely neat finish. I'll be making more for stocking fillers or winter birthdays. It goes well with the Erica Knight Mittens for Mum pattern (also free). 

And at last for someone who doesn't like too many projects on the go at once, I can see the logic of separate, simple travel projects. I made a simple garter stitch scarf to go with my much worn Annabel sweater. Forty stitches on 4mm straight needles. Already it's a favourite. 


Oh and I found the natural eye cream recipe it was over here all the time. I can't remember where it came from but have had this for a long time. I think that it may be from one of my Iranian sisters-in-law as they use gram flour over wheat for most of their Persian cooking. 

Natural Eye Cream for Wrinkles and Dark Eyes

Ingredients:
  • One teaspoon of gram flour (chickpea/garbanzo bean flour)
  • Half a teaspoon of tomato paste
  • A squeeze of fresh orange juice. (Fresh not bottled as it can spoil your skin)
  • A squeeze of lemon juice
  • A pinch of turmeric 
Method:
  1. Combine all the ingredients together in a small container
  2. Put into the fridge for a few minutes before using as this will make a soothing, cooling balm for your eyes. 
  3. Apply gently and carefully to your eyes making sure that you don't get any into them or on your clothing as turmeric is a natural dye. The best time to use this cream is when soaking in a nice warm bath, no risk of staining your best tea-shirt. It's nice to leave it on for a few minutes before carefully removing with cotton wool or a flannel. Not your best one..!
NB. I know that you are all sensible and this may sound patronising, but the mother in me can't write this recipe without reminding you not to use it if you happen to be allergic to any of the ingredients. 

10 comments:

  1. First, thank you for the eye cream reciept, Debby. I'll have to give it a whirl. In the winter I become so pale that the dark circles under my eyes become more noticeable.

    I love your green door and the hardware on it. I hope that when you are all settled, you'll give us a grand tour.

    I can picture you all snug n your bed listening to old radio programs. It must be pure bliss in our wonderful cottage. Hopefully the rain will stop soon. Such strange weather this year.

    Have a happy weekend!

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I eventually found it because I remember promising you that I would look for it. I think I also have an recipe for exfoliater that also uses gram flour but I think with honey and olive oil.

      The door's painted now and I'm so pleased with it...it's all set for winter now.
      Take care,
      debx

      Delete
  2. that eye cream sounds good enough to EAT!!! :) Once again, though, the yummies out of your kitchen are inspiring---that pizza!!! :) gotta do that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually does Steph...I was a bit over generous putting it on and couldn't help licking a bit. Ahmad made the pizza they are the best nice and thin and he makes a special spelt one for me that has a lovely nutty taste. I'm getting peckish just thinking about it.
      dx

      Delete
  3. I am happy that your space will be yours to putter about in, and now that you're reading that means that most of the outside stuff is done and same with the inside. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you Karen. I think we have another week or so of sorting and painting and then I'm planning to catch up with reading and knitting and cosying up for Christmas and winter. Can't wait.
      Happy days,
      debx

      Delete
  4. I know you are enjoying putting your home to rights and finally being able to settle in and make it your forever home.
    I am intrigued by the eye cream recipe and you can bet I will be making up a batch here. It's just what these tired old eyes of mine need. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just found a bargain gardening book in a charity shop Tracey, it's lovely and so interesting. It's full of more useful flower and plant based recipes for eye creams etc with natural ingredients. I'll try to share those too when I have time.
      Have a good day,
      debx

      Delete
  5. Oh, the delights of your kitchen! The pizza, the soup, the salads...ih, they all look so yummy!

    Thanks for sharing the eye cream recipe...I will definitely be giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily. Those are Ahmad's amazing pizzas. He makes the best ones and special spelt ones for me that are so tasty.

      I found a book with some more natural ingredients so hope to try those and then share them as well.
      dx

      Delete