Thursday 22 July 2010

Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights


I so love my newest cookery book, Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights. It was a belated Christmas present a couple of weeks ago, from one of my sisters. You may have gathered by now, that I have a bit of a soft spot for the lovely Mrs Cullum nee Dahl. I love to read the little stories about her interesting family and childhood memories; teenage angst and lost loves; her memorable meals and romantic dinners. I want to read her book and I want to enjoy all the pictures. I even want to make every single dish and try every recipe. She likes the same food that I like, and she wants to eat. But she wants to be able to eat well and healthily and so it's tasty but without lots of butter or cream. There is a time to push the boat out and celebrate, and so there are one or two indulgent recipes for those special times too...... And she's vegetarian but happy to make food for those who aren't....a perfect cook.


I have a number of recipe books. Some I love to read, others are beautiful and I just look at the pictures but never seem to try out the recipes. Others I use because I know the recipes are tried and tested and will work out just as they should, but I wouldn't want to read. But with Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights, I think that I've possibly found all these things.

It's only two weeks and I've already tried her crumble recipe. She uses spelt flour along with oats which works really well giving it a lovely nutty flavour.

I also added some little slivers of blanched almonds brought from Iran.


And the poached eggs with grilled portobello mushroom and goats cheese which really was a delight....
I am going to work my way through this book a season at a time....I don't think I can help myself....and enjoy the process......Probably the Pear and ginger muffins next.....

No comments:

Post a Comment