Wednesday 22 September 2010

Hidden Treasure


My taste is usually quite simple when it comes to china.....simple white bowls like these ones you can see here or the simple black tagine here. But I just have a fancy for some really voluptuous china for Christmas. I want the table to be decadent and look totally over the top like a tea table in a Bohemian castle or a Russian Dacha, but at the same time be inexpensive and green. I started collecting the odd item, little Turkish tea cups to use as votive candles and coloured glass desert dishes you can see here for a few pence in charity shops.

But I felt as though I'd stepped into Aladdin's own cave when I spotted these golden dishes sparkling on the bottom shelf of the Heart Foundation Charity shop yesterday. I'm not usually a golden kind of person but I love the Chinese dishes and they only cost me £5 for all twenty pieces!! And the little blue Chinese tea set was only £3 and is destined for H's new house....... I hope she likes it.

I'm not sure if I'll be keeping the petal shaped bowls.....they might be just a little bit too much......but I really had fun playing with them when I got back....I couldn't resist a bit of a mad hatter tea party trial in the garden amidst all the squashed mulberries.......






.....Can't wait for Christmas

8 comments:

  1. Hello - I really am DEEPLY envious of these sets. What a score! Love to be tagged in a future meme - have been thinking a lot about our cupboards since the big earthquake in Christchurch a couple of months ago (and emergency rations have been talked about a lot in the press). Anyway, keep me posted and I'll let you know when we have unpacked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I found them......

    I'm looking forward to the meme...I'll be in touch.....hope the rain stops for your move and all goes well....

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooooooo I'm a vivid shade of green! They're gorgeous, well done, good on You. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing find! I'm with you on making Christmas special and what a way to do it. I'm sure 'H' will love the tea-set too if you can bear to give it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Cherie, they are great aren't they but I don't think I'll ever beat you when it comes to finding the most amazing things.....

    ...I wonder if you'd like to join the meme too....I'll post more later then you can have a think about it.....

    Have a good weekend

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Caz....I'm a bit like a little girl with a doll's tea set at the moment.....

    ....I wonder if you'd be interested in joining the meme too....it's going to be kind of kitchen pantry/cupboard content orientated........I'll be in touch later and you can decide....

    Take care

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Deb I'd love to be involved. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic I'd better get my thinking head on and start composing some questions......

    ReplyDelete