One good way to use up the yolks from the almond macaroons is to bake or coddle them. I've tried a couple of recipes recently for baked eggs including one with spinach in a creamy nutmeg sauce that was really delicious. You might like to try too and you can link to the recipe here.
I decided to coddle them (such a lovely word...coddle) in twice baked potatoes...which is much less work than it sounds.
- Bake potatoes in a moderate oven until they 'give' when you squeeze them. This can take anything from half to an hour depending on the size. Just keep checking.
- Cut them in half length-wise. Remove the centre potato and place in a dish being careful not to break the skins.
- Add some butter (or alternative) and mix well until a nice smooth consistency. This is the fun part where you can add any ingredients you like. I added grated Parmesan cheese and lots of crushed black pepper.
- Place on an oven proof dish and then carefully place the egg yolks on top. Season with a little sea salt and return to the oven 180 c for a few more minutes for the eggs to set.
- I served with a green salad, a few baby tomatoes and chopped spring onion and drizzled with Balsamic vinegar. The eggs should be nice and runny and mix with the Balsamic vinegar to make an unctuous dressing that runs down over the salad when your fork pops them.....
This was a really tasty supper and the hardest thing to do was to grate the cheese.