Wednesday 9 February 2011

Aloo ghobi with Lemon and Saffron Rice




At last I've cooked my little cauliflower. I used Anjum Anand's recipe for Aloo Ghobi it's on page 147 of Indian Every Day. It's the first time that I've made Indian food and her recipe was really easy to follow. Although this isn't the most attractive looking dish (well mine wasn't!) the aroma and flavour was amazing. I will definitely use this spice combination with other vegetables and chicken. I've found a similar recipe by Manju Mahli that you can see here.

I served ours with Sophie Dahl's lemon and saffron rice. You can see the recipe here. This is such a simple way to cook the most flavourful rice imaginable. Basically you just put all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring them to the boil, cover and then simmer for eight minutes or so. By which time you have lovely fluffy pale yellow rice that tastes awesome. Jamie Oliver makes a similar lemon rice which you can link to here if you like. I can't overemphasise how simple to make and yet how impressive looking this is.Definitely one for entertaining...but do use good Basmati rice...I recommend Tilda, so far I haven't found another brand that I love as much although I'm sure there must be some out there....

I also made a quick Persian cucumber yoghurt dish to serve with this called Maast-o Khiar which is a little bit like tzatziki. It's made with natural yoghurt, cucumber, garlic, and shallots. Dill is also added although I often make it without.



2 comments:

  1. Yum! I love indian food - and cooking indian food! Homemade is so much better sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so much easier than I anticipated and the house smelt amazing with all the spices......I've just got a little spice grinder and so want to try blending my own spices next time.....

    ReplyDelete