H made a lovely discovery recently. She found a myspace audrey tribute blog that actually published some of her recipes. Sadly it hasn't been updated for a long time, but there's lots of interesting information on it, and best of all the recipes. H sent me the link because we are both big fans and she thought it might be fun to try them out. You can link to the site here if you like.
I made Audrey's Spaghetti Al Pomodora for supper. For four people you will need:
- One small onion, peeled and diced
- Two cloves of garlic
- Two large tins of pelati or prepared roma tomatoes
- A bunch of fresh washed basil with the leaves left whole
- A a big drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- One box of dry spaghetti pasta (1lb)
- Some recipes also include two carrots chopped finely or grated
- Add half of the bunch of basil and all the other ingredients to a large pot and simmer on a low heat for 45 minutes.
- Turn off and leave to rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the spaghetti until al dente.
- Serve the two together with lots of fresh parmesan and the other half of the basil, well washed and cut with scissors in in a cup or glass to prevent bruising or blackening
I've made lots of similar pasta sauces in the past, but somehow knowing this was Hepburn's recipe made eating it seem a lot more special. Apparently Audrey would eat this at least once a week...maybe we too can have a figure like hers!?
However when I make this again I will be really tempted to sautee the onions a little first I think it would just add to the lovely flavour even more...mmm...
Next I'm going to try her pesto recipe oh and then the bran muffins...
Thank you H for directing me to these lovely recipes...what a treat...