Pasta with Spicy Red and Yellow Pepper Sauce.
For two people you will need the following ingredients:
- Two medium sized sweet peppers
- A can of tomatoes
- A small red onion
- One medium hot green chilli
- Half a teaspoon of preserved green peppercorns
- Black olives
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and crushed black pepper
- Parmesan cheese
- Slice the onion and cook in a little olive oil until transparent and beginning to caramelise.
- Add the crushed garlic and finely sliced hot pepper. Continue to cook, being careful not to burn the garlic as it will become bitter.
- Add the sliced sweet peppers, give a good stir and sauté.
- When the peppers are beginning to soften add the canned tomatoes, green peppercorns and seasoning. Chop or crush the tomatoes if they are whole ones.
- Continue to cook until the sauce has reduced and the peppers are nice and soft.
- Add the olives and check the seasoning
- Cook the pasta as per the instructions on the packet. Drain and put onto serving dishes reserving a little of the cooking water to thin the sauce if required.
- Top with the pepper sauce. Grate or shave Parmesan cheese over the dish.
This is a really flavourful sauce. The caramelised peppers and onion add a lovely rich sweetness whilst the tomatoes and green peppercorns a little acidity. Balanced with the spicy chilli and tangy olives a perfect supper pasta sauce. Great served with a crunchy green salad.
This also makes a delicious cooking sauce for fish or chicken so it's useful to make a little extra to store in the fridge for a couple of days, or to freeze.