This is how I make, what is basically a turkey version of a Bolognese sauce, but without the bacon.
Ingredients for four people:
- 500g/1 lb of minced/ground turkey
- One red onion, sliced finely
- A couple of cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- One large portobello mushroom, sliced finely
- Two sticks of celery,sliced finely
- One carrot, grated
- A can of chopped tomatoes
- Tomato puree
- A little chicken or vegetable stock or hot water
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Parmessan cheese
- Pour a little olive oil into a heavy saucepan, heat up and add saute the onion until cooked.
- Add the garlic and cook, being careful not to burn it.
- Add the remaining vegetables and stir well to combine flavours, allow to sweat for a few minutes.
- Add the meat, ensuring that it browns. You may need to pus the vegetables to one side of the pan to do this.
- Gve everything a good stir.
- Season, then add a little to puree and the chopped tomatoes plus a little hot water or stock
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer until the meat is tender and the sauce has reduced.
- Serve with prepared pasta of choice, topped with grated parmessan and salad leaves.