Friday 7 June 2013

Old School Rock Buns







For some reason I had a craving for rock buns today and so rooted out this recipe. I found it with H’s old school ones. They really are old school, I can remember using virtually the same recipe myself when I was at school.

They are not the most beautiful buns, not very elegant or luxurious looking. Especially compared to some of the exotic treats that arrived in a parcel from A's family in Iran. But they are nice and homely and I love them. The recipe is for ten buns. I made nine overly generous ones and wolfed a third of them very quickly. I can’t really explain why I find them so more-ish; probably it’s another childhood throwback. Memories of making them with my sisters and mum on rainy Saturday mornings. Standing on the kitchen stool wrapped in an enormous apron, rainwater drumming down the windowpanes...getting flour everywhere, even my hair...Happy days.

To make ten rock buns you will need:
  • 200g/8oz of Self Raising Flour
  • A pinch of salt
  • 75g/3oz butter (or substitute)
  • 75g/30z dried fruit
  • One egg
  • One to two tablespoons of water
Method:
  1. Light the oven, gas mark 7, 220c. Place the shelf just above the centre. Grease a baking sheet.
  2. Sieve the flour and salt into the bowl and rub in the butter.
  3. Add the sugar and dried fruit and combine all the ingredients.
  4. Beat the eggs lightly and add it to the mixture. If necessary add the water. The mixture should be firm enough to stand in heaps.
  5. Divide into ten and place in rough heaps on the baking sheet and bake for about fifteen minutes until firm and golden brown and then put to cool on a wire tray.

You can also make raspberry buns with the recipe by leaving out the fruit and making a little well in the centre of each one and filling them with raspberry jam....mmm....

Alternatively you could make cherry, chocolate chip, date or coconut buns by substituting the two ounces of dried fruit with the appropriate ingredient. mm..mm...



I even found an image of my old primary school in Manchester..I'd forgotten how cute it was.....


This post is linked to The Kitchen Maid's bloghop Sweet Sweet Friday that you can see here.


Do you have an end of week sweet treat? Add it here to spread the sweetness of Fridays....

10 comments:

  1. mmmm those rock buns do look good! You lucky thing getting a parcel from Iran - I love the colourful tin that some of the goodies came in. I have been mildly obsessed by Iran for several years now - I would love to go there some time - to eat, look at the Alborz,and take photos of Islamic architecture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really interesting about your Iran obsession.....I'd love to go too....every time we've planned to go something has happened and we've had to change plans....one day before long hopefully we'll make it....you too I hope...Like you I know exactly the places I want to visit there...

    I wonder if you have any connections with Iran Rel?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoops accidentally rebooted this old post...
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Auntie used to make rock cakes when I was little! I don't think I have had one since. Might have to remedy that .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to be reminded about these old recipes every so often. I hope you have a go Debbie.
      deb

      Delete
  6. I have never had a rock cake before. I think I've heard of them before, but in an old Enid Blyton book I had; yes that's how English and old and quaint it is to me.Good that you accidentally rebooted this post haha. Inspired to try this out now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like the kind of thing the famous five would have with lashings of lemon aide...

      Delete
  7. Hi debby emadian, I really like what you post on your blog cooking up a storm in a teacup, I would like to
    invite you learn creating
    a facebook page for your blog to help you get more audience from facebook just step by step on my blog
    Facebook Answers Guide =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rock buns! Amazing! I haven't seen these in YEARS.

    Thank you for the recipe. Your idea of splitting these and having them with raspberry jam is making my mouth water x

    ReplyDelete