Saturday 25 October 2014

THIS WEEK IN MY KITCHEN



I have to hold my hands up to take-away twice this week. Once crunchy buttered moist cod and mushy peas from the local chip shop. Then chicken kabab comprising similary moist chunks with a yoghurt dill (or mint, not quite sure which) dressing, also from the local chip shop. The first was the winner. 


It's amazing that I've done any cooking with so much dust and disruption. I even managed to cook supper for our neighbours...Not a very good one. I miss my gas hob and I was preparing it at an unearthly hour of the night before, so it's no wonder that it wasn't up to  standard. The horesht that was perfect the night before didn't perform well with last minute tweaks.The custard I attempted to make for dessert using this recipe and six egg yolks a vanilla pod and sugar, turned out tooth achingly sweet, so I couldn't use it and disregarded the whole dessert. Maybe I'd miss-measured the amounts. We'd cleared a space amidst the chaos, with a clean sheet covering the table, subdued light thanks to tea-lights and a wood fire, and Chopin playing.They were very polite about it and didn't mention the awful food. We enjoyed cheese and biscuits and wine instead of dessert, followed by espresso and chocolate coffee beans, and tasted A's extremely alcoholic homemade wine and soon forgot about the missing dessert and substandard supper. (Well I hope they did) Happy that we have such good companions the other side of the chimney. 

And in-between I've made fruity salads and  spelt turkey burgers with chilli sauce, huevos rancheros and creamy pumpkin soup.

And been introduce by my lovely neighbour to local alex gooch's  amazing artisan bread and delicious blue monk cheese. Soft bread, creamy tangy blue cheese maybe a slice of ripe tomato, a potentially fatal attraction...

Have you discovered any fatal attractions recently?
debx

I'm joining with Heather  for This week in  my kitchen...Coming?

8 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of super sweet desserts, I tend to go towards salt before sugar :) However, I do like a sweet after dinner. Glad you could do take out to save the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Karen. I think that all went well in the end.
      debx

      Delete
  2. Debby, I am amazed that you *ever* get a chance to cook right now! Sorry to hear you lost having a gas stove top for cooking--I absolutely agree that it's so much better. Hang in there, and remember how wonderful this little house in the country will be when you are all done! (and, if it helps, how envious I am!)
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will all be lovely when it's completed Erin and the hopefully by getting so much done all at once, all the mess is happening at once and it will never need anything ever doing again...Is that too much to hope for? My main mission with the kitchen is to plan it very practically, substance over style and not be too influenced by beautiful appliances.
      I know we are very lucky...
      dx

      Delete
  3. you truly deserved those two take-outs.....how are you managing anything in the upheaval? When will it end????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were delicious especially the fish and not much dish washing afterwards. I've been asking the exact same questions Steph...It seems that everything is happening all at once, suddenly, so hopefully that means all the disruption will be over at the same time. Hopefully before Christmas.
      Have a good week.
      debx

      Delete
  4. hello debby,
    your food looks wonderful,especially the salad.thanks for the snapshot of your kitchen.
    have a nice week,
    love and hugs regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello regina. Thank you for your lovely comments. I love pomegranat seeds in salad and it's the first time that I used raw butternut squash in it too...it was really delicious.
      Hope you have a great week too, hugs to you.
      debx

      Delete