Wednesday 18 February 2015

yarn along




                
 "The whole town seems to be covered by a feather duvet. All the buildings have long white skirts. The snow has drifted high against the walls.Young boys are shovelling away on the roofs for all they are worth."
     The Second Deadly Sin, Åsa Larsson


The flakes of snow that teased me with the promise of hibernating with needles and yarn, melted. The only snowdrifts that I experienced were those concocted by an imagination more vivid than mine.   It didn't prevent me from knitting at every opportunity though, another of these hats, some of these mitts, more of this blanket and at last the big project that I've been longing for. I ordered some Icelandic lopi yarn, this time Lettlopi to make a cobblestone pullover for Ahmad. It's very inexpensive from here and 100 percent wool. Not the easiest colour to work or the softest yarn but it's really warm and will look lovely when it's made and really suit his colouring. It's a dark charcoal called black heather with just a hint of white-ish grey twisted in. He's requested a few alterations to the pattern. He wanted the whole jumper to be knitted in garter stitch and not just the yolk and bask so that it will be something like the effect of  my annabel sweater and cardigan that he loves...

But then a few nights ago I went to bed early and left him downstairs watching tv, he came rushing up and said he'd found just the sweater he wants me to make...a 1930's style collared jumper worn by Brad Pitt in Seven Years in Tibet. I scoured the internet for vintage patterns but couldn't find anything similar. So I'm currently experiment, knitting and unravelling, trying bits of new patterns and doing gauges/tension squares to try and make up my own 1930's version...Hence the unravelled yarn and lack of rows. This should be interesting...

The vivid imagination belongs to Asa Larsson. The Second Deadly Sin is the first of her novels that I've ever read and although at the first few pages I wondered whether I should have chosen a swedish crime novel knowing how dark they can be. Ok to watch them on a Saturday night snuggled by the fire next to husband, but would it make a good bedtime read. The story evolves quickly and there are layers. Not just descriptions of corpses but old stories unfurl and take me to a cosier world. I'm drawn in and really enjoying the read so far. The backstories aren't confusing but intriguing and interesting. I think I like this...I'll let you know how I get on. 


Ps. I have a voucher for you. I bought all my books new online and they cost me about £2.00 each, I couldn't believe how cheap. When the parcel arrived there was a voucher for £2 off the next order...hurray a free book. The best bit is that  they also gave me a discount code to share with to my friends too. There's a deadline the 28th of Feb, but if  there's something you want it might be worth checking it out to see if they stock it. 

pps they haven't asked me to do this and I don't get anything for mentioning them. 



I'm joining here and here today...coming?

17 comments:

  1. How fun Debby to be designing a sweater for your love, I can't wait to see what you come up with. I do like the yarn you are going to be using and will be checking it out. I have yet to knit my Mike a sweater, maybe I should.
    Happy Yarn along day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I manage to do it Tracey...It's going to be fun trying. I'm very pleased with it, it was so cheap for pure wool. I made an Annabel cardigan and a cowl in Alafoss lopi last year (or the one before) and have worn it so much, especially in the winter. It's really warm.
      Happy knitting too.
      debx

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the search for a pattern. I may be able to find one in my mum's vintage Stitchcraft magazines - I will have a look. The yarn looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Jayne, that would be lovely if you have time. So kind of you.
      Have a good day.
      debx

      Delete
    2. How are you going with finding a pattern for this? I have looked through mum's magazines but they are from the 60s and 70s. I thought her mum's (so my grandma's) magazines were going to be there too - they were from the 30s, 40s and 50s, but they weren't. I hope they are not lost or given away! Have to find out from mum.

      Delete
    3. Hi Jayne, Oh thank you that was so kind of you to look for me and for coming back to tell me. I have managed to find a another two new patterns that I'm going to combine to hopefully make one. I did start to write about them but haven't had time to publish it yet.
      Have a wonderful weekend,
      Thanks again,
      debx

      Delete
  3. sounds like a great story.....if it's anything like jussi adler olsen or hennig markel.....I'll LOVE it! thanks always looking for a new author!! good luck finding the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I've watched quite a bit of Wallander on tv I haven't read anything my Hennig Markel, but have a sister whose a big fan I must borrow some of hers. Thanks steph, I'll keep experimenting a looking.
      Take care,
      debx

      Delete
  4. How funny...my husband loves Brad Pitt's sweater in that movie too! :) I look forward to seeing what you come up with. The yarn looks lovely.
    I wish I could share some of our snow with you. We fit Asa Larsson's description quite well. Over the weekend, snow drifts completely blocked a few rural roads near us, and we are expecting another 4-7 inches tonight.
    How great that you can get books for £2!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a coincidence...It is lovely though isn't it. I'm not sure if it will look as good in the charcoal as the pale grey but I will have a go.
      It's a shame you can't send over a little snowy prettiness. It all looks so beautiful in your photographs and I think it does often lead to a few extra cosy times at home that otherwise we may feel we don't have time for. I hope though that you have plenty of food and fuel to keep you warm and well fed. Take care and keep safe.
      debx

      Delete
  5. How funny...my husband loves Brad Pitt's sweater in that movie too! :) I look forward to seeing what you come up with. The yarn looks lovely.
    I wish I could share some of our snow with you. We fit Asa Larsson's description quite well. Over the weekend, snow drifts completely blocked a few rural roads near us, and we are expecting another 4-7 inches tonight.
    How great that you can get books for £2!



    ReplyDelete
  6. Debby, I thought you might want to take a look at this pattern. I know it's not exactly the same, but there are a lot of similarities and I thought it might help you...
    https://www.brooklyntweed.com/shop/hugo/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for coming back Tracey that is so kind of you. I've checked it out and it is gorgeous. I'm that Ahmad would love it.
      thanks again,
      debx

      Delete
  7. exciting to find a sweater inspiration in a movie, I've done that and so has my husband. Unfortunately I never got to the designing part! Can't wait to see what you invent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...There's a gorgeous little cropped jacket in a film called Bright Star. You may have seen it, it portrays the life of the English poet, John Keats. His girlfriend is a dressmaker and in scene she is sitting on her bed sewing wearing the sweetest little jacket. I'm not sure if it's knitted or crocheted but I would love to have a go at that one sometime.
      Take care,
      debx

      Delete
  8. I love that Icelandic wool but in all honesty it never really gets cold enough here to wear it. It's so nice that the jumper you are knitting for Ahmed already has its own origin story as I'm sure it will be one he wears for many, many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely but you definitely would roast in it Caz. I'm still playing with the patterns at the moment but can't wait to start making it. I just hope that it will live up to his expectations.
      Have a great day Caz.
      debx

      Delete