- 8 ounces of butter or alternative
- 1lb of fruit. I use a mixture of green raisins and sultanas, chopped deseeded dates and undyed cherries. I also like nuts in fruit cake so have a handful of chopped walnuts.
- 5 ounces of brown sugar
- 1 level teaspoonful mixed spice. I also add ground cinnamon and a little ginger.
- 1 level teaspoonful bicarbonate of soda
- 10 ounces of SR flour
- 2 beaten eggs.
- 8 ounces of water
- I add Vanilla extract and a little almond extract too.
- It's nice if making for a special occassion to add some rum or liqueur or fortified wine to give a lovely deep grown-up flavoured cake.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add all the other ingredients except the flour, eggs and nuts if using.
- Simmer gently for about twenty minutes
- Allow to cool and then add the flour and eggs and nuts
- Mix well
- Transfer to an 8inch cake tin lined with 2 sheets of paper
- Cook at 300f/150c for one hour, plus for fifteen minutes without the paper until nicely browned.
- Place on a rack to cool.
- Once cooled decorate to your hearts content...
How are your holiday preparations coming along?
Love and amaryllis,