Ingredients for two
- One red onion peeled and sliced
- A crushed clove of garlic
- One small green, red and yellow pepper cut into small pieces
- Two sticks of celery finely sliced
- A couple of small potatoes peeled and cut into small wedges
- A small handful of chopped mushrooms
- Olive oil
- One teaspoonful of turmeric
- One teaspoonful of ground cumin
- One teaspoonful of ground coriander
- Harissa paste or fresh or dried chilli or chilli paste
- Sea salt and crushed black pepper
- Enough boiling water to cover the vegetables by about an inch
- Cook the onions in a little olive oil until soft and then add the garlic and cook making sure that it doesn't burn
- Add all the spices and cook-out for a minute of two stirring with a wooden spoon
- Add all the other ingredients plus hot water and allow to simmer until all the vegetables are tender
Butter Bean Mash
- Two cups of dried butter beans that have been soaked in water for at least a couple of hours if not overnight. Or a can of cooked ones.
- Two cloves of garlic with skin on
- Olive oil or butter
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Remove the hard outer skin from the beans...this should come off easily once soaked in water
- Cover with cold water, season and pop in the cloves of garlic. Cook the beans until soft enough to mash
- Drain the beans in a colander and then place them into a bowl. Remove the garlic cloves and take off the skins, squeezing the soft garlic pulp into the beans.
- Add butter or a little olive oil and lots of black pepper and then mash the mixture until smooth and creamy
This makes a lovely alternative to mashed potatoes. You may like to add a little squeeze of lemon juice but I think they're tasty with or without.....mmmm A lovely mid-week supper
This looks scrumptious and just the sort of thing I am dying to eat after being away from home cooked food for a couple of weeks!
Hope you had an amazing holiday....I wondered if you were away......
That's one of the positive things about getting back......enjoying all the things you missed whilst away.....it's like having another one when you return......
This is gorgeous. thank you.ReplyDelete