Friday 9 September 2011

Making Preserves with Bob and Alberta - Marrow Chutney







Whenever I hear Bob Dylan singing Lay Lady Lay, I'm a kid again.  It's Saturday morning I'm half asleep in the bedroom I shared with younger sister...I don't want to get up and I can hear the LP playing somewhere in the house...

Yesterday morning was  rainy, neighbours on both sides out, 'A' had already gone to work, I could play Bob Dylan CD's as loud as I wanted, draw and make marrow chutney. With a pot bubbling away to strains of Early Morning Rain and drawing at last after so long I was a happy bunny.  

People keep giving me marrows and I'm very grateful but I don't particularly like them...but I do love chutney and it's so easy to make.

For about five jars (mine were assorted sizes) of marrow chutney you will need;

4lb (1.8kg) prepared marrows, chopped
1/2lb (225g) onions, chopped
1 1/2lbs (675g)  soft brown sugar (I used dark brown natural Muscovado)
1oz (28g) ground ginger
1pt (570ml) malt vinegar

Method:
  • Peel and chop the marrows (the smaller the quicker it will cook) place in a colander over a tray, sprinkle with a little sea salt and leave overnight to remove some of the water from them.  Then rinse and dry.
  • Put all the ingredients in a large saucepan and simmer until everything is  a soft pulp and the liquid reduced so that it is not too runny. Bottle while still hot and cover with airtight lids.   


It does take a while for the marrow to cook but you don't need to stand over the pot stirring just check it every so often.  I can't believe how easy this is to make and such great results...even better than Branston Pickle.  It's amazing with cheddar cheese or cold chicken.  


It would make a perfect Christmas stocking filler because it's great with cold turkey and crunchy baguette on Boxing Day....mmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment