Thursday 10 November 2011

Simple Supper - Soba Noodles with Rainbow Trout Broth



I saw a recipe for Japanese soba noodles over here a couple of days ago and then spotted this lovely pack in my local food store.  I couldn't resist getting them, especially because the noodles are separated into little portion sized bundles wrapped up in paper ribbons.



I love Japanese food and couldn't wait to try them out in a soup using some of the ingredients that were in my fridge and store cupboard.


To make my Soba Noodles with fish broth for two people you will need:


  • 400ml of stock (I used vegetable but chicken or fish would work just as well)
  • One clove of garlic, peeled and then finely sliced.
  • A small piece of ginger, peeled and sliced.
  • About a quarter of a green pepper deseeded and cut into small pieces.
  • One chilli, chopped.
  • Two cabbage leaves shredded.
  • A small handful of broccoli florets. 
  • 3-4 sliced mushrooms, preferably Shitake.
  • A small piece of lemon grass, peeled and then chopped.
  • Tamari sauce.
  • Fish or chicken.  I used a whole sustainably sourced rainbow trout. With the head, tail and bones removed and then cut into chunks.  A fillet or steak of salmon would have been perfect or any shell fish


Method:

  1. Prepare all the ingredients.
  2. Heat the stock in a saucepan.  Bring to the boil and then add all the vegetables and cook for about five minutes.
  3. Add the noodles. I used one bundle because I wanted this dish to remain soup-like.
  4. Cook the noodles in the broth for about five minutes before adding the fish, cook for a further couple of minutes until the fish is cooked.
  5. Add Tamari sauce to season. 
  6. Serve in a big bowl...
This is such a quick and simple supper to make.  It takes less than half an hour to prepare and cook.  I was fortunate to buy a sustainably sourced trout for just over £2 and reckon that the dish cost less than £4 for two servings!


No comments:

Post a Comment