Wednesday 28 July 2010

The Darling Buds of May in July

'Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date.'

Sonnet 18:William Shakespeare.








Time for another confession. I love the Larkin family. I loved reading the books about them by H E Bates when I was a teenager. Then loved the tv series with Pam Ferris, David Jason and Catherine -Zeta Jones in the 90's. It was an adaptation that really brought the characters to life, just as I'd imagined them. I even have a box-set of old video's of the series I found in a charity shop. They are my secret remedy for miserable times. If someone is staying and they've been through a break-up or experienced some sad event, it's amazing how for a little while they can be transported to a Spring day in a Kentish farm in the 1960's and comforted in the huge bosom of the Larkin family.

With the exception of Mma Precious Ramotswe and her huge slices of fruit cake, red bush tea, baked pumpkin and listening ear, no one can quite do it like Ma and Pop Larkin. I think that winning combination of buxom, maternal women and comfort food never ceases to work....thank God for rotund ladies....and food......Oh and a strong, fatherly shoulder helps too....





No comments:

Post a Comment