Saturday 10 December 2011

Marinated Tofu and Vegetable Stir-Fry and an unusual foodie Christmas Present Idea

I recently keep hearing about the merits of tofu and thought it was time to gave it another try.  I do appreciate that it's more a vehicle for nutrition than taste, and so decided to marinate it.


So first thing in the morning I did the following:


Cut up a packet of organic tofu into bite sized pieces. Made a marinade with chopped hot chilli, crushed garlic, grated ginger, organic Tamari sauce and toasted sesame seed oil.  Then left it in the fridge until supper time. Or you could make it the evening before and leave overnight.



I then washed and cut up or sliced thinly:


  • One small red onion
  • A small courgette
  • A handful of brocolli florets
  • A small sweet red pepper
  • A couple of handfulls of baby spinach
  • A handful of fresh shiitake mushrooms

You will also need some more oil for stir-frying and Tamari sauce.

Method:

  1. Simply put some oil into a wok or frying pan and then heat it up. 
  2. Stir-fry all the fresh ingredients for about five minutes.
  3. Add the marinated tofu and stir-fry for a further four or five minutes.
  4. Check seasoning and a little more Tamari sauce if required.
  5. Dish up.  Easy.


I still think that Tofu is something that I will eat because it's good for me and not because it's tasty, and that the vegetables are the heroes in this dish...but I'm going to experiment, I'll keep trying...and keep you informed...I heard something about chocolate cake made with tofu...

But I have found an amazing foodie gift idea...that's if like me you love shiitake mushrooms. I buy them almost every week and I was googling just to compare the price of the ones I get from my organic vegetable box scheme and found these...on another website...


They are fruiting shiitake and oyster mushroom logs. So you can grow your own! They are awesome and only £10.50 each. I'm sure there are others available but I just accidentally found these and they're produced not too far from me...so I think they would constitute 'local'...Such a cool present...


...and one that keeps giving...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, those fruiting mushroom logs are just amazing. I'm sure any foodie would be thrilled to receive them as a gift and as you say they they tick a lot of boxes - local, unusual and not too expensive!

    Henry's favorite lunch is marinated tofu. I'd go so far as to say he is a little obsessed so I'll definatly give this a go. We usually buy tofu pre-marinated but I'm sure you way is much healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know they are amazing and apparently can keep on producing for a number of years..

    ReplyDelete